GREAT SEAL of c.1634
All that remains of the first Great Seal of Maryland is a fragment on a St. Mary's County land patent, dated July 10, 1640. The seal probably was similar to the 1648 seal. The great Seal of ca. 1634 was lost when it was "Treacherously and Violently taken away" by Richard Ingle and his accomplices in the anti-proprietary rebellion of 1644.
Copyrightę John T. Marck. All Rights Reserved. This article and their accompanying line art, may not be resold, reprinted, or redistributed for compensation of any kind without prior written permission from the author. Seal courtesy of the Maryland State Archives. Reprinted by Permission.