GREAT SEAL of 1854
In 1854 the General Assembly ordered a new seal. Agreeing with Governor E. Louis Lowe that Maryland's seal should "consist of the arms of the state, and not of a device which has no significant relation to its local history," the legislature ordered a return to the Calvert design. Unfortunately, a crude woodcut was used as the model. Several inaccuracies resulted, most notably the use of only five bars, or pales, in the Calvert quadrant of the shield, and the use of the "increase and multiply" motto on the scroll.
Copyrightę John T. Marck. All Rights Reserved. This article and their accompanying line art, may not be resold, reprinted, or redistributed for compensation of any kind without prior written permission from the author. Seal courtesy of the Maryland State Archives. Reprinted by Permission.