Great Seal of 1876
The Great Seal of 1876 was ordered to correct the inaccuracies of the 1854 seal. The only important deviations from the original Calvert design were the addition of the date, 1632, to mark the years that the Charter of Maryland was granted, and reversing the direction of the pennons atop the two staffs. The seal was cut in brass in Paris, France, and placed in use in early 1879. Although new die have been cut, the 1876 seal remains the Great Seal of Maryland.
Copyrightę John T. Marck. All Rights Reserved. This article and their accompanying line art, may not be resold, reprinted, or redistributed for compensation of any kind without prior written permission from the author. Seal courtesy of the Maryland State Archives. Reprinted by Permission.