The Great Seal of Calvert County
Calvert County was established by an Order in Council of 1654, the fourth county to be built, and called Patuxent County until 1658. The County name derives from the family name of the proprietary, the founding family.
The Seal was designed and adopted as the official Calvert County seal in 1954. It shows a Tobacco Leaf, Calvert's leading product; a Horn of Plenty symbolizing fertility and hospitality of Calvert County; an Oyster Shell portrays the bountifulness of Calvert's Seafood Industry and Rope and Anchors which symbolizes the nautical tradition of our forefathers which continues to be perpetuated today.
Copyright ©John T. Marck. All Rights Reserved. This article and their accompanying seals, may not be resold, reprinted, or redistributed for compensation of any kind without prior written permission from the author. Maryland County Seals and Baltimore City Seal and their respective origin histories from: Maryland The Seventh State A History, © John T. Marck. All Rights Reserved. All Seals courtesy of the respective county, Office of the County Executive and/or the Department of Tourism. Reprinted with permission.