The Great Seal of Kent County
Kent was first mentioned as a county in 1642, when the Governor and Council appointed commissioners for the Isle and County of Kent which was named for the English county of the same name.
The shield is generally described as bearing the full blazonry of the House of Stuarts. Within the center is a lion rampant of the paternal shield of Nassau, denoting the House of Orange. The inclusion of the Heraldic symbols of the House of Stuart and Orange signify the joint sovereignty of William of Orange and of Mary of the House of Stuart at the time the seal was adopted, on May 21, 1692.
Copyright © John T. Marck. All Rights Reserved. This article and their accompanying seals, may not be resold, reprinted, or redistributed for compensation of any kind without prior written permission from the author. Maryland County Seals and Baltimore City Seal and their respective origin histories from: Maryland The Seventh State A History, © John T. Marck. All Rights Reserved. All Seals courtesy of the respective county, Office of the County Executive and/or the Department of Tourism. Reprinted with permission.