The Great Seal of Frederick County
By John T. Marck
Frederick County was created in 1748 from Baltimore and Prince George's counties (Chapter 15, Acts of 1748). The County was named for Frederick Calvert (1731-1771), sixth and last Lord Baltimore.
The original Frederick County Seal, dating back into the mid to late 1800s depicted a nude farmer holding an ancient spike-toothed harrow and a single-shovel plow. The redesigned, May, 1957 version of the Seal emphasizes agriculture and agribusiness, industrial development, and the historic character of Frederick County.
Copyright © 1990-2022 by John T. Marck. All Rights Reserved. This article and their accompanying seals, may not be resold, reprinted, or redistributed for compensation of any kind without prior written permission from the author. Maryland County Seals and Baltimore City Seal and their respective origin histories from: Maryland The Seventh State A History, © John T. Marck. All Rights Reserved. All Seals courtesy of the respective county, Office of the County Executive and/or the Department of Tourism. Reprinted with permission.
A Splendid Time Is Guaranteed For All