The Great Seal of St. Mary's County
It was here that the passengers on the Ark and the Dove landed in March, 1634. Except for a small trading post established on Kent Island by William Claiborne, St. Mary's City was the first Maryland colony, established in 1637. The county and city of St. Mary's are both named in honor of the Virgin Mary.
St. Mary's County Seal is described as having two lions on their hind feet, leaning on the State Coat of Arms. The motto across the bottom is the same as the Great Seal of Maryland, "Fatti Maschii Parole Femine," usually translated as "manly deeds, womanly words." The date on the seal, 1637, is assumed to be the date the seal was first used.
Copyright © 1990-2022 by John T. Marck. All Rights Reserved. This article and their accompanying seals, may not be resold, reprinted, or redistributed for compensation of any kind without prior written permission from the author. Maryland County Seals and Baltimore City Seal and their respective origin histories from: Maryland The Seventh State A History, © John T. Marck. All Rights Reserved. All Seals courtesy of the respective county, Office of the County Executive and/or the Department of Tourism. Reprinted with permission.
A Splendid Time Is Guaranteed For All