Roger Brooke Taney Monument,
Maryland State House Grounds, Annapolis
By John T. Marck
Photo Date: August 1, 2004
The Roger Brooke Taney Monument is a statue of the fifth Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, installed on the Maryland State House grounds in Annapolis. Taney was the author of the infamous Dred Scott decision. The sculpture, by artist William Henry Rinehart was unveiled on December 10, 1872. The bronze sculpture was commissioned by the Legislature of Maryland.
In August 2014, House Speaker Michael E. Busch and Governor Larry Hogan called for its removal. On August 16, 2014, a majority of the members of the Maryland State House Trust voted to move the statue from the State House grounds to storage.
The statue was removed on August 18, 2017.
The statue and its pedestal are in storage at the Maryland Archives facility in Woodlawn, Baltimore County. MD.
Photograph copyright © 1990-2022 by John T. Marck. All Rights Reserved. This photograph may not be resold, reprinted, or redistributed for compensation of any kind, or reused for any purpose without written permission from the copyright owner. Permission may be obtained at: email@example.com
A Splendid Time Is Guaranteed For All